Why are pets so cheap?!

Out of curiosity, I checked out Petsmart's website a few days ago. I took a look at the different animals they sell, and I noticed that these animals were sold at ridiculously cheap prices! For example, three mice were sold for $5 (it doesn't help that they were advertised as "fancy" mice)! In addition, betta fish were sold for $14.99....

I always thought that pets would cost a fortune ( partially because I've never had a pet as a kid) BUT, hear me out on this one. My theory is, from the moment we pay the cashier for our pet, we are immediately responsible for its needs-its physical, emotional, and mental state, food, shelter, water, time, love, attention, and care. Shouldn't they be more expensive if we're taking care of its needs for its lifespan; for all its memories throughout its life? Why and how are we stripping all of these factors and reducing its price./cost to less than $20?! If it's a life-long commitment, shouldn't it be receiving more care and money devoted to its well-being?

That would be akin to taking away newborn babies (or babies that re only a few months old) away from their mothers, and selling them to others, then placing a price tag on its life for less than $100?!

Okay, I digress, that would only happen in a paranoid, dystopian society..but still, it's a valid argument.

I am baffled.

Comments

Popular Posts